Friday, March 16, 2012

St Platty's Day

The Bar at Plattekill
There are plenty of things I love about Plattekill – steep vertical, chilled vibe, no lift lines... and the bar. They have 12 beers on tap – including local brews from Ommegang and The Davidson Bros' Dacker Ale, Ithaca Nut Brown Ale, but one fact sticks out to me on the beer front: They sell more Stella than anywhere else in the Catskills. Which makes me feel like I'm back in London again.

This weekend there will also, of course, be Guinness and Jameson's and Murphy's. And what Nate Batthany (who is in charge of the awesome bar as well as the food in the bar – that steak quesadilla, say) calls an "Irish Car Bomb." Now while I was left stuttering over this politically tricky, say, notion, he explained that this was a combo of Bailey's and Jameson's and said, "You don't know what it is because you're not a college student." Too right. But anyone who drinks Bailey's has bigger problems. That stuff is just gross. So is Irish Whiskey. I'm a malt lady myself. Scotch malt.

Yes, Rudd checking your email helps you ski bumps. Or are you putting on Ryan Adams?
The other thing on tap (ha-ha) this weekend is the Bumps competition on Blockbuster. With its 1000 feet straight vert (the only of its kind in the Cats)  the soundtrack for the competition should be The Chemical Brother's Block Rockin' Beats, which might just date me as much as the, ahem, "Car Bomb." There will be spring conditions so everyone can bomb the bumps (perhaps not with a "Car Bomb" though. And yours truly will be judging. I am open to all influence peddling. Remember I like Scotch (as in from Scotland and not Ireland) whisky.

Nailing the kicker at the top Block (and also proving why action sports photography is a proven skill. He did catch air.
So bring your sunscreen, maybe even rock your retro gear. With temps in the 70s next week this could be our last weekend.... And bear in mind this bon-mot from Nate about the bar: "Whenever anyone asks what our hours are, I say, 'we close when you go home. It's till the last man standing.'" Which is some professional drinking, I say.
She caught air too... I just didn't. At least not on film.

The Tunis clan takes in the glory of the day and 1000 feet of vert.


4 comments:

  1. Steeellaaa! I respectfully submit that you're wrong about the Jamieson lass. I'll be watchin' from the deck wit me gimpy leg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, it even has an "I" I left out, that's how much I dislike it. At least, gimp that you are, you can drink and not crash whilst skiing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Harvey44 I'll join you on the deck with my gimpy leg too. Look for the guy with the full leg brace nursing a torn ACL. I'll even buy the first round of Jameson and Jennifer since I can't compete and therefor can't buy your influence your going to have to join us in one too. See you there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can I know the unknown? Sorry to hear about your ACL. I do have SOME responsibility. Have to SOMEHOW get my sorry posterior onto Blockbuster to take pictures of the bumpin.

    ReplyDelete